"Harmony, balance, and rhythm. They're the three things that stay with you your whole life. Without them, civilization is out of whack. And that's why an oarsman, when he goes out in life, he can fight it, he can handle life. That's what he gets from rowing." -George Pocock
On date to be determined, the athletes of East Tennessee Rowing will undergo a grueling marathon of indoor rowing in order to raise funds for the club's Capital Equipment Fund. This event is the club’s major fundraiser for the year with 100% of all the funds raised through the Erg-A-Thon will go toward much needed equipment for the club’s youth and outreach progams.
What is an Erg-A-Thon?
- This fun yet challenging event is to raise funds on stationary rowing machines, just as walk-a-thons raise money by collecting contributions based on a distance walked. Our team will take on the challenge to row 1,049 kilometers or 652 miles, the length of the Tennessee River from Knoxville (TN) to Peducah (KY), in 12-hours. In 2017 we completed 832 kilometers.
- Here is it how it works.
- Athletes will start collecting pledges in January for meters rowed on stationary rowing machines (a.k.a. ergs). Each athlete has a personal fundraising goal of $500. This year our goal is $25,000 for our Capital Equipment Fund which supports our youth and other outreach programs.
- Pledge sheets need to be turned in on erg-a-thon day, February 19th (President’s Day)
- Pledges may be made by anyone (family, neighbors, church, and local businesses). Each sponsor making a pledge will write their own name, pledge per 100 meters rowed, and maximum pledge. Students may collect the pledge in advance but must keep pledges until all are collected. Any amount helps and we do appreciate any tax-deductible donation you can make. Remember small donations add up and get us closer to our goal!
- Our team will split into six crews (Adults, Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, Freshmen, and Middle School). Each with a crew goal of 175 kilometers. Crews will have up to three ergs with the requirement that one must be kept in constant motion during the 12-hour event.
- On Erg-A-Thon day, participants will row a minimum of 60 minutes during a scheduled time to compile as many meters they can on one of the multiple ergometers that will be continuously in action during the 12-hour event. Each participant’s completed meters will be verified by coaches or coxswains and recorded the participant’s pledge sheet and returned.
- Participants may then collect outstanding pledges over the next week. Make checks out to East Tennessee Rowing. Donations can be mailed to 250 E Broadway Ave, Maryville, TN 37804. Make sure to post on the check who you are supporting.
- [Pledge Form Download]
- Corporate Sponsors
- East Tennessee Rowing is always interested in corporate involvement in our programs to make them a success. We are searching for corporations that are willing to sponsor a rowing machine, sponsor the event, or offer matching funds on participant pledges. All corporate sponsors will be featured on our website throughout the year.
- East Tennessee Rowing Organization is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit community club sport organization based in Louisville, Tennessee. All contributions are tax deductible. (FTID 26-3986313).
- For questions or concerns, or to volunteer, contact:
We look forward to all our participants having a great time, and thank you for your support!